OK, I was going to finish this off at some point, but I’ve gotten busy with other projects, so I figure I might as well post what I have so far… If there’s any interest, let me know and I’ll see if I have any more useful insight…
Step 1: Get this stuff:
- Intel Matrix SATA drivers for the Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller, Network Adapter Drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection, and Video Drivers for the Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family.
- Your Windows XP CD.
Step 2: Make a new XP CD:
- Install nlite
- Create a new XP CD, and slipstream the Intel drivers you downloaded in Step 1 using nlite.
Step 3: Install Windows XP:
- Installation should be straightforward if you have created your new XP CD properly. The hard drive will be detected without having to press F6, and the network card and video card will work out of the box.
Step 4: Find the other Gateway drivers (I managed to find a laptop in the 64xx series that had most of the same internals, and XP drivers…):
- Audio: (SigmaTel Unknown @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M – High Definition Audio Controller [B-0])
- Wireless: (Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter)
- XP Update for Modem to work properly:
- Modem: (Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem)
- Card Reader: